The Winds of Change
There have been some interesting events of import the past few months.
Here are a few of the more noteworthy items. As a popular political refrain goes, it’s a time of change….
* Barack Obama nominates Sonia Sotomayor to become a Supreme Court Justice. Her past comments about being a “wise Latina” generate controversy among Conservatives.
* Barack Obama announces a “sweeping” financial regulation plan.
* Once an icon of American capitalism, General Motors files for bankruptcy.
* Protests arise in Iran over disputed election results. The USA claims that it is not “meddling” in Iran’s domestic affairs, but the evidence suggests otherwise and is even admitted to a degree by the mainstream media. Strangely, no Western countries expressed concern over similar disputed US elections in the past.
* Famed Ethnic Studies professor Ronald Takaki takes his own life. He had been suffering from multiple sclerosis for several years. Another renown Asian American scholar Him Mark Lai also passed away, as did Filipino American poet Al Robles and activist and former Black Panther Richard Aoki.
* The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, died of cardiac arrest. One of his most compelling songs about change, “Man in the Mirror,” is below: